Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The New Age of Technology

As I sit here at the college radio station, I begin to think to myself how often I check Facebook and Twitter, and how exactly I got here. Sure, sure. There was the occasional bad life choice which turned into a good one, but I'm talking about technology. I can remember sitting at the monstrous computer my dad got from his work, or wherever, and being THRILLED that I could type and have it show up like that. What was it, white letters and a blue background? I guess anything was better than a typewriter...

Not long after my older brother got more into computers and soon enough I was playing card games like Solitaire against simulated characters. CARD GAMES. ON A COMPUTER. Who would have thought!? And then...oh and THEN...came AOL. Instant messaging with my friends while I played card games on the computer. Life could not have gotten better. I would leave from school, take the bus ride home, do some homework, and then talk with my friends ALL night even though I'd spend ALL day with them. Kids got braver through the internet as they asked out each other, and others got a little more stupid as they made chat rooms and talked about nonsense gossip. It was the greatest creation since sliced bread. I spent every waking moment on AOL as long as I could!

And then I heard about MySpace. MySpace. Rocked. My. World...and everyone in it! I could make a design for my background, choose a song for my homepage, take stupid quizzes and post pictures and let the whole world know that I, Erin Murphy, existed. I was official. I was asked by past and present friends to be added, and there wasn't even a word for how much power I felt when I confirmed them. Who you were was defined by not how you speak, your family's background, your education, or the love you feel for someone, but by the profile picture you posted. Eh, duh!

Then one day my friend mentioned Facebook. Pshh, Facebook?! What is that and why would I switch to it? So I did. But I mainly used MySpace because that's what all the cool kids did, right? Wrong. Facebook took over and it was only a matter of time until I connected with more and more friends, and found people through my school network. I wrote Notes like they were going out of style, and holy crap, if you didn't have a funny or meaningful status that everyone could comment on and "Like", then you were no one. I go on Facebook so much it's probably unhealthy. Farms and Mobs and Groups...oh my! But hey, anything is better than what I had before. Facebook spanked MySpace and now Facebook rules the social network! Right?

ERNNHH!! Sorry wrong answer. Survey says?! TWITTER.

Twitter is a way to update your friends and the whole world with only 140 characters at a time. You can add someone into your post by putting @whatever the hell their name is in, or you can make a trending topic by putting #trendingtopic. I think. See, Twitter is so new to me (even though it's been around circa 2006) that I'm not even sure what I'M doing. And I have an iPhone! Aren't people with iPhones supposed to know what's going on? I mean, we can look stuff up on the spot, so why don't I know anything!?

Probably because another type of social networking...thing will come around pretty soon, and I'll just be learning that one. Maybe we'll actually go back to writing letters to our friends and family. Nostalgia is the new trend, so why not? Hey, don't giggle. Anything can happen. I read that on someone's tweet once.

Well, g2g. Updatin status for @FollowErin cuz shes #thecoolestpersonever.

Stay Sweet.

No comments: