Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Get a Grip

I am SO weak.

Fact.

So yesterday I thought it'd be cool to try out rock climbing at the Rec Center at Akron because it's free for students. Well, I first had to sign this waiver, etc. and the guy that was helping me looked at me like I was crazy. Anyway, he (Ian) warmed up real fast and was cool when he helped me get some shoes and showed me how things are done. (Ok, no lie, he was cute and nice.) There was the wall, and then a big arch called the Boulder. No one was using the ropes and harnesses because they weren't set up from the tournament last week, so you were just allowed to follow a track to the finish, which was about 12 feet up, and then fall onto a mat on the floor. At this point, I'm thinking, "Okay, this can't be too bad. Grab onto the little rung and then lift yourself up." What the hell was I thinking? The body strength it takes to climb up was insane. My arms and legs were shaking and couldn't get a good grip. Thankfully the kids/workers there were really nice and helped coach me. I finished the easy pink route too! The rule is you have to have both hands on the final grip to "complete" it. I can't wait to try again and practice some more, even though it was a killer.


I think Wednesday I'll try the arch and finish by hanging from one hand while I give a peace sign. No? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

No comments: