Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Huzzah!

WHOA, this is two posts within two days, which also makes three within a week!
HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!

Enough if the celebration, now onto serious business.
Today in Ethics we had a speaker come in and talk to us about the morality about slaughtering animals and the benefits of veganism. This guy showed us a four minute video (some footage he shot himself) of an inside look into slaughter houses and what goes on. I wanted to puke. There were cows and pigs hung upside down and this guy just walked over and stabbed or slit their throat and stood back to watch them bleed out. Then corpses of dead animals were kicked around, skinned, etc. Ugh, it was gross. I saw a dolphin getting it's throat cut open... It was just sickening.

Now this guy was pretty cool. He ate meat, cheese, milk, eggs, for 25 years until he decided to change and become an activist. Gary Yourofsky I believe his name is. He's been kicked out of 5 countries, (Canada and the UK- England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales), and he's traveled around giving lectures. Now, I really do love the taste of meat, but this guy gave an excellent argument of why being a vegan is better. Part of me wants to say "Hell ya!" and go vegan, but I'd hate all the criticism I'd get. Now, that's not exactly a great response, but I don't know. He said even reduction is helping. I can start with that... Maybe one day I'll work my way to being a true vegan. God, the health stats he told us blew me away. Of course, though, I am being taught in Psychology that stats can be manipulated and worded to please the audience, but damn, considered me fooled. I'll probably check on them eventually. He also said there was a gourmet restuarant two minutes away from campus that caters to vegans called Vegetaranian or something like that. Sounds good. Vegan steak? One day...

His website is www.adaptt.org. Check it out!

3 comments:

bigbenrichards said...

Have you been watching Penn and Teller?!?! Season 2 episode one. It's more about PETA , but talks about animal slaughter. Let me know what you think after that. I also wonder why he got kicked out of those countries. He sounds pretty extreme, which you have to be to try to get people to side with you haha. The vegetarian place is suppose to be really good too, but costs $15 a person. ok I am done haha. Sorry

bigbenrichards said...

Its actually season 1 episode 11.

bigbenrichards said...

definetly not a bad thing to try, but if you do it because of his speech has he not done what he was trying to do in the first place? ha i just like to argue, but yeah i dont agree with the sheer lopsidedness either.